Spicy Braised Brisket Sandwiches
Brisket cooked in spiced beer and beef broth until tender, then piled on to ciabatta rolls and topped with giardinera and Roasted Red Pepper Mayonnaise.
- 1 boneless beef brisket, flat cut (2 1/2 - 3 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) beer
- 2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chiles, undrained
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 6-8 Italian or ciabatta rolls, split
- Giardinera (optional)
Roasted Red Pepper Mayonnaise
- Sliced provolone or jalapeno pepper cheese (optional)
- Roasted Red Pepper Mayonnaise (optional)
- 1/2 cup jarred roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- Sandwiches: Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place beef brisket in stockpot;
brown evenly. Remove brisket; season with salt and black pepper.
- Add onion and garlic to stockpot; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until onion is crisp-tender. Return brisket, fat side up, to stockpot. Add beer, chiles, broth and red pepper as desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until brisket is fork-tender.
- Remove brisket. Skim fat from cooking liquid; keep cooking liquid warm. Trim fat from brisket. Cut into 4-6 pieces; shred with 2 forks. Stir shredded beef into reserved liquid.
- Serve beef mixture in rolls topped with giardinera, cheese and mayonnaise, if desired.
- Roasted Red Pepper Mayonnaise: Place roasted red peppers, mayonnaise and garlic
in food processor container. Cover; process until smooth.
Servings: 6 | Prep: 30 Min | Cook: 2 1/2- 3 Hr
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Beef Checkoff