The Benedict features Canadian bacon, eggs, Cold Pack Cheddar, buttery Gouda and fresh spinach layered in an English muffin. What a way to start the day or enjoy anytime you please.
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices Canadian bacon
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 English muffins, split
- 4 tablespoons Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar Cold Pack Cheese
- 4 slices Wisconsin Gouda Cheese
- 4 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Heat 3-4 quarts water to just below boiling point. Add vinegar and pinch of salt. Gently stir the water. Lower heat so water is simmering. Crack eggs into the water one at a time and poach gently for 4-5 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat griddle or skillet over medium heat; fry Canadian bacon until lightly browned. Remove from griddle; set bacon aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to skillet. Spread each bottom of English muffin with 1 tablespoon Sharp Cheddar Cold Pack. Place in heated skillet. Top each bottom in pan with 1 slice Gouda, about 1 ounce spinach, 2 slices Canadian bacon, and 1 slice of tomato. Cook over medium heat until cheese is melted. Remove to a plate and top each with a poached egg.
- Serve open-faced with remaining muffin halves, toasted and buttered, on the side.
Yield: 4 sandwiches
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin