The Buffalo Bill
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup spicy “buffalo wing” sauce
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 4 slices Wisconsin Monterey Jack cheese
- 2/3 cup (4 ounces) Wisconsin Blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded
- Sweet pepper bruschetta topping, optional
- Hot sport peppers, optional
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place in zip-style resealable
bag. Pour buttermilk into bag and seal. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Place flour on plate and season with salt and pepper. Pour wing sauce into bowl.
Heat large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add vegetable oil to about 1-inch depth
and heat to 350ºF. Remove chicken breasts from bag and roll in flour to coat. Fry
in hot oil, 4-5 minutes per side, until golden and cooked through.
- Remove chicken breasts from skillet with tongs and turn them in the bowl of hot
sauce to coat evenly. Reserve on plate.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat. Butter one side of each bread slice. Place
4 slices, butter-side down, in skillet and top each with 1 slice Monterey Jack,
1 chicken breast, 1 ounce Blue cheese crumbles, and 1/2 cup of shredded lettuce.
Layer the sweet pepper bruschetta topping on the lettuce, if using. Top each sandwich
with another piece of the bread, butter-side up, and grill, turning once, until
bread is golden and cheese melts.
- Garnish with sport peppers, if desired.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin