Shiitake mushrooms, pepperoni, mozzarella and sun-dried tomatoes combine to make this spectacular sandwich.
- 7 tablespoons butter at room temperature, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces shiitake mushroom caps, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 4 focaccia-style rolls, split
- 4 Wisconsin Fresh Mozzarella ovaline-size balls, each cut into 8 slices
- 16 slices pepperoni
- 1/2 cup ripe black olive slices
- 6-8 pepperoncini, halved
- 4 ounces marinated sun-dried tomatoes, dried and thinly sliced
- Mix 6 tablespoons butter with the garlic until light and smooth. Heat sauté pan
over high heat; add olive oil, 1 tablespoon butter, and mushrooms. Season with pinch
of salt and pepper; sauté 5 minutes. Spread cut sides of rolls with garlic butter.
- Heat large skillet or sauté pan. Place roll bottoms in pan, butter-side down.
Grill until golden brown. Flip roll bottoms. Layer on each bottom 4 slices Fresh
Mozzarella, 4 slices pepperoni, some black olive slices, 3-4 pepperoncini halves,
some sautéed mushrooms, 1 ounce sun-dried tomatoes, and 4 more slices Fresh Mozzarella.
Place roll tops over.
- Grill until cheese is melted and bread is crisp and golden,
turning sandwiches over once during grilling.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin