The Green Acre
A delightful grilled cheese sandwich loaded with healthy veggies.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced about 1/8" thick
- 1 red onion, sliced about 1/8" thick
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced about 1/8" thick
- Salt and pepper
- 8 tablespoons butter, at room temperature, divided
- 8 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- 1 shallot or small yellow onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 8 slices rye bread or 4 seeded rye rolls, split
- 8 slices Wisconsin gouda cheese
- Roasted peppers, optional
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat an oven-safe skillet over high heat. Add olive oil, red pepper, and onions.
Sauté 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté additional 3 minutes. Season with salt
- Place skillet in oven and roast 15-20 minutes.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter, a splash of
water, spinach, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook just until spinach is wilted.
- For béchamel sauce: Heat saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter and
minced shallot or onion. Season with salt and pepper; stir for about 3 minutes,
or until translucent. Add flour and stir to coat. Stir in the milk, a little at
a time to avoid lumping. Add nutmeg and cayenne and bring to a low simmer, stirring
often to keep from sticking. Cook at least 10 minutes; stir in mustard and let stand
- Heat skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Butter one side of each bread slice
or roll and place 4 slices, butter-side down, in pan. Top with slice of gouda, 2
tablespoons spinach, and 1/2 cup of peppers-onions-mushrooms. Top with 2 tablespoons
of the béchamel sauce, another slice of gouda, and a slice of rye, butter-side up.
- Grill to melt the cheese and toast the bread to golden brown, flipping sandwiches
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin