Tuscan Pork Sandwich
This entree sandwich can be made for a quick dinner or something different for
guests. Make the olive topping ahead of time to allow flavors to fully blend. Serve
with Cold Herbed Garbanzo Beans and grilled vegetables.
- 6 pork chops, boneless, 1/2-inch thick
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 cup oil-cured black olives, pitted, chopped,such as Kalamata
- 6 slices eggplant, unpeeled, 1/4-inch thick
- 1 loaf crusty French or Italian bread, cut in half horizontally
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, halves
- 4 (1 ounce) slices Fontina or Provolone cheese
- Prepare grill with medium-hot fire. Combine olive oil, mustard, lemon juice,
Worcestershire, garlic and rosemary in work bowl of food processor or blender; cover.
Process until smooth and thickened, about 1 minute. Set aside 1/3 cup of mixture
for basting chops and eggplant. Add olives to remaining mixture and reserve.
- Brush chops with olive oil mixture (without olives). Grill chops 3-4 minutes
per side until nicely browned. Remove to plate.
- Brush eggplant with same olive oil mixture. Grill 2-3 minutes per side or until
just tender. Grill bread halves, cut side down, during last 1-2 minutes of grilling
- To assemble sandwich, spread reserved olive mixture evenly over bottom half of
bread; top with eggplant and cheese slices.
- Thinly slice pork chops; layer over cheese and top with roasted pepper halves
and top half of bread.
Prep time 15 minutes | Cook time 25 minutes | Serves 6
Nutritional Information: Calories: 550 calories Protein: 37 grams Fat: 27
grams Sodium: 1060 milligrams Cholesterol: 75 milligrams Saturated Fat: 7 grams
Carbohydrates: 37 grams
Recipe and photo used with permission from: National Pork Board