Tuscan Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Mozzarella cheese, fire roasted red bell peppers enhanced by herb blend of Tuscan
Style butter combine in an unforgettable sandwich.
- 4 slices Italian or sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoons Challenge Tuscan Style Spreadable Butter
- 4 slices (about 4 ounces) mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup prepared fire roasted red bell peppers, drained and sliced into narrow strips*
- Fresh basil leaves – (optional – use just a few to enhance without overpowering the sandwich)
- Spread Tuscan Style butter lightly on one side of each bread slice. On 2 slices
arrange half of the cheese, then red bell peppers, basil and remaining cheese. Top
with remaining bread slices. Spread Tuscan style butter on the tops of the sandwiches.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Place sandwiches butter side down in the skillet
and spread additional Tuscan style butter on the uncoated side. Cook until sandwiches
approximately 4 minutes per side or until golden brown and the cheese is melted.
Yield: 2 sandwiches
* Slices of fresh tomato may be substituted for red bell peppers.
Source: Recipe developed by Challenge Home Economist.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Challenge Dairy