Chicago-Style Sausage and Peppers
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 large red bell peppers, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Jack Daniels Sour Mash Whiskey
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 spicy Italian sausages (4 ounces each), not hot dogs!
- 8 good quality hot dog buns
- 2 tablespoons reserved sausage grease or soft butter
- Heat corn oil in large skillet and sauté the onions and peppers until tender
and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the bourbon and stir quickly until absorbed.
- Add the brown sugar and stir until the sugar melts.
- Season with thyme, salt and pepper. (Can be refrigerated
for one week. Let come to room temperature before serving.)
- Char-grill the sausages until slightly blackened and cooked through.
- Brush the hot dog buns with a little sausage grease or butter and toast on
the grill or under the broiler.
- Nestle a sausage in a bun and top with about 2 tablespoons of
peppers and onions.