These cornmeal-coated hot dogs on a stick are sold in beachfront stands along
California's southern coast and at fairs throughout the country.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 pound hot dogs
- Vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- Prepared mustard
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Stir in cornmeal.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Mix egg and milk and stir into cornmeal mixture until blended.
- Insert wooden Popsicle sticks into end of each hot dog.
- Coat evenly with batter.
- Fry in deep oil heated to 375 degrees F until brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with ketchup and mustard.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.