These cornmeal-coated hot dogs on a stick are sold in beachfront stands along
California's southern coast.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg, lightly
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 pound hot dogs
- Vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- Prepared mustard
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Stir in cornmeal.
- Cut in shortening until mixture
resembles coarse meal.
- Mix egg and milk and stir into cornmeal mixture until blended.
- Insert wooden Popsicle sticks into end of each hot dot.
- Coat evenly with batter.
- Fry in deep oil heated to 375 degrees F until brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with ketchup and mustard.