Dogs in Blankets
- 8 skinless hot dogs
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Fat for frying (part bacon, part lard)
- Put wooden skewer in each hot dog.
- Roll in flour and shake off excess.
- Sift 1/2 cup flour and next 3 ingredients into bowl.
- Add egg and buttermilk and beat with whisk to form a smooth thick batter.
- Holding skewer, dip hot dog in batter, coating well.
- Drop into hot deep fat (375 degrees F to 400 degrees F) and fry until golden
- Drain on paper towels and serve at once with mustard.