Skip the hot dog and go right to the beer-cooked brats. The toppings are a meal
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) package beer
bratwurst (6 count)
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 6 rye or whole wheat hot dog buns,
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut
- 2 tablespoons coarse-grained mustard
- In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-low heat until hot.
- Cook onion
in oil 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown and softened.
- Heat gas or charcoal grill.
- Place bratwurst on grill over medium heat.
- Cook uncovered 10 to 15 minutes, turning
frequently, until hot.
- Wrap each bratwurst with slice of cheese; place on buns.
- Top with sauerkraut,
onion and mustard.
- To broil hot dogs, set oven control to broil.
- Spray cookie sheet with cooking
- Place hot dogs on cookie sheet.
- Broil with tops 4 to 6 inches from heat for 4
to 5 minutes or until hot.
prep time 20 min
total time 45 min
Nutrition Facts Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories 530 Calories from Fat 330
Total Fat 36g Saturated Fat 15g Trans Fat
1/2g Cholesterol 85mg Sodium 1160mg
Total Carbohydrate 23g Dietary Fiber 4g Sugars 6g Protein 26g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C 4% Calcium 30% Iron 15%
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat
Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 4 Fat
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit: