New tricks for an old dog! In Tucson, the hometown hot dog has chili beans, bacon and tomatoes. We put ours in a freshly baked roll.
Prep: 15 min | Servings: 4
- 2 (11 ounce) cans Pillsbury® refrigerated crusty French loaf
- 4 beef hot dogs
- 1 cup chili beans in sauce (from 16 ounce can)
- 6 slices packaged precooked bacon, coarsely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 medium plum (Roma) tomatoes, cut in half horizontally, sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled Mexican cheese (Cojita)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray large cookie sheet with cooking spray, or grease with shortening.
- Remove dough from cans; place seam side down and 3 inches apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 26 to 30 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Cool slightly, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat gas or charcoal grill.
- Place hot dogs on grill over medium heat.
- Cook uncovered 10 to 15 minutes, turning frequently, until hot.
- Place chili beans in medium microwavable bowl; cover loosely.
- Microwave on HIGH for 45 to 60 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds, until hot.
- Cut each loaf in half horizontally, cutting not quite all the way through.
- Cut each loaf in half crosswise, to make total of 4 smaller loaves.
- Place 1 hot dog in each loaf.
- Top with chili beans, bacon, tomatoes and cheese.
To broil hot dogs, set oven control to broil. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray. Place hot dogs on cookie sheet. Broil with tops 4 to 6 inches from heat 4 to 5 minutes or until hot.
Nutrition Facts Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories 720 Calories from Fat 260 Total Fat 29g Saturated Fat 12g Trans Fat 1/2g Cholesterol 55mg Sodium 2410mg Total Carbohydrate 86g Dietary Fiber 3g Sugars 10g Protein 29g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A8% Vitamin C 4% Calcium 15% Iron35%
Exchanges: 5 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 3 Fat
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: