New tricks for an old dog! In Tucson, the hometown hot dog has chili beans, bacon
and tomatoes. We put ours in a freshly baked roll.
- 2 (11 ounce) cans Pillsbury® refrigerated crusty French loaf
- 4 beef hot dogs
- 1 cup chili beans in sauce (from 16-ounce can)
- 6 slices packaged precooked bacon, coarsely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 medium plum (Roma) tomatoes, cut in half horizontally, sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled Mexican cheese (Cojita)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray large cookie sheet with cooking spray, or grease with shortening.
- Remove dough from cans; place seam side down and 3 inches apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 26 to 30 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Cool slightly, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat gas or charcoal grill.
- Place hot dogs on grill over medium heat.
- Cook uncovered 10 to 15 minutes, turning frequently, until hot.
- Place chili beans in medium microwavable bowl; cover loosely.
- Microwave on HIGH for 45 to 60 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds, until hot.
- Cut each loaf in half horizontally, cutting not quite all the way through.
- Cut each loaf in half crosswise, to make total of 4 smaller loaves.
- Place 1 hot dog in each loaf.
- Top with chili beans, bacon, tomatoes and cheese.
- To broil hot dogs, set oven control to broil.
- Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Place hot dogs on cookie sheet.
- Broil with tops 4 to 6 inches from heat 4 to 5 minutes or until hot.
prep time 15 min
total time 15 min
Nutrition Facts Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories 720 Calories from Fat 260
Total Fat 29g Saturated Fat 12g Trans Fat 1/2g Cholesterol 55mg Sodium 2410mg Total
Carbohydrate 86g Dietary Fiber 3g Sugars 10g Protein 29g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A8% Vitamin C 4% Calcium 15% Iron35%
Exchanges: 5 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat
Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 3 Fat
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Reprinted with permission from