Sloppy Texas Toast
Sloppy Texas Toast is a delicious open-face sandwich, made even better by toasting the bread to a crunchy golden brown. You may even like this better than the "bun" version.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 pieces Texas Toast
- 1 ounce cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brown ground beef and onion over medium heat. Drain.
- Add ketchup, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Stir well to ombine.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture has thickened.
- Meanwhile, place Texas Toast in oven. Bake until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Place sloppy Joe mixture on top of each slice of Texas Toast.
- Top each toast with 1/4 ounce of Cheddar cheese.
Photo credit: (c) Can Stock Photo / chas53