Avocado Chicken Melt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 firm ripe avocado, peeled and sliced thin, divided
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 4 wheat bread slices, toasted
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red bell pepper
- Rinse chicken with cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound to flatten to 1/4-inch thickness.
- In resealable plastic bag, combine cornmeal and garlic salt.
- Add chicken; close bag and toss to coat well. In large nonstick frying pan, heat oil.
- Cook chicken in hot oil for 2 minutes per side or until lightly browned.
- Remove chicken from
pan and place in shallow baking pan.
- Place half of avocado slices over chicken and sprinkle evenly with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes or until chicken is done and cheese is melted.
- Place each chicken breast on a slice of toast.
- Top with remaining avocado slices.
- In small bowl, combine yogurt and pepper; serve with chicken.
Yields 4 servings.