Sandwich and Wrap Recipes
Classic Patty Melts
Classic Patty Melts are packed with seasoned burgers, onions, mushrooms and melty cheese!
Yield: 3 full sandwiches; 6 half sandwiches
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms, divided (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 slices provolone cheese*
- 6 (3/4-inch) slices sourdough bread**
* Or any type of melty cheese desired
** Or any type of bread desired
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet or on a griddle over medium heat. Add sliced onion and cook until onions are golden brown, caramelized and soft, about 15-20 minutes. Stir often to prevent them from burning, adding more butter if needed.
- When onions are almost done, add half the sliced mushrooms to the skillet and cook alongside the onions until they have released all their moisture and begin to brown. Remove grilled onions and mushrooms from the pan and set aside; keep warm.
- While onions and mushrooms are cooking, chop the remaining half of the mushrooms into a rough chop. Add mushrooms to a large mixing bowl and combine with ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Form beef mixture into 3 equal size patties, pressing them out slightly larger than the shape of the bread slices.
- Grill patties over medium high heat, pressing the patties flat with the back of a spatula to prevent them from shrinking too much. Cook patties to a medium well doneness.
- While patties are cooking, spread butter onto one side of each slice of bread.
- Once patties are cooked to your desired doneness, remove them from the skillet.
- Place 3 of the bread slices buttered side down in the skillet.
- Top each slice of bread with a slice of Provolone cheese. Then top with a grilled beef patty, then a mound of grilled onions and mushrooms, if using.
- Add another slice of Provolone cheese and place a slice of bread on top, buttered side facing up.
- Once first slice of bread is toasted and golden brown, use a spatula to carefully flip the entire sandwich over to grill the other slice of bread.
- Once both slices of bread are grilled to a golden brown and cheese is melted, transfer each sandwich to a cutting board.
- Cut each sandwich in half to serve.
Photo credit: © Can Stock Photo / bhofack2