French Toast Grilled Cheese
Shredded pepper-jack or Swiss cheese may be substituted for the Cheddar in this recipe.
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 8 ounces Cabot 1 Year Cheddar, cut into 24 slices, or 7 ounces Cabot Vermont Extra Sharp Cracker Cuts
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and cut in half
- 8 thick slices brioche bread
- 2 tablespoons Cabot Butter
- Maple syrup
- Whisk the eggs, milk, salt and sugar in a medium bowl to combine.
- Top four of the slices of bread with 3 slices of the cheese, two slices of bacon and another 3 slices of cheese. Top with the remaining slices of bread.
- Heat a large griddle or skillet on medium low heat.
- Dip each sandwich into the egg mixture to coat both sides thoroughly.
- Turn the griddle down to low and add the butter to coat the bottom. Place sandwiches on the griddle and cover each one with a small lid. Flip the sandwich once the bottom is browned and the cheese is slightly melted. Cover with the lid again.
- Remove the sandwiches from the griddle once they are browned on both sides and the cheese is melted, approximately 8 – 10 minutes.
- Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup.
Yield: 4 sandwiches | Prep: 10 min | Cook: 20 min
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Cabot Creamery Co-operative