Italian Pork Melts
Strips of pork covered with pepper pieces and cheese, then melted until bubbly.
- 1 pound boneless pork roast, sliced into stir-fry strips*
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 4 (6-inch) submarine sandwich rolls, split
- 2/3 cup pesto
- 2 whole roasted red peppers, drained and halved
- 4 (1 ounce) slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add pork strips to
pan and brown nicely, stir-frying, remove from heat.
- While pork cooks, spread mayonnaise on bottom half of rolls; spread pesto on
top half of rolls.
- Broil briefly just to lightly brown.
- Divide pork strips onto four roll halves, top with pepper pieces and a slice
- Broil just until cheese is bubbly.
- Top with remaining half of rolls.
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes | Yield: 4 servings
* 12 ounces of thinly sliced leftover cooked pork roast can be substituted for
uncooked pork. If using leftover roast, delete oil in recipe.
Serving Suggestions: Great with leftover pork roast instead of stir-frying pork
strips. Make sure if younger cooks are helping to have an adult use the broiler.
Nutrition Information Calories: 770 calories Protein: 47 grams Fat: 47 grams
Sodium: 1070 milligrams Cholesterol: 90 milligrams Saturated Fat: 15 grams Carbohydrates:
Recipe and photo credit: National Pork Board - porkbeinspired.com.