Patty Melts with Secret Sauce
Patty Melts with an oh, so good Secret Sauce!
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 slices sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup Secret Sauce
- 3 medium Vidalia onions, thinly sliced
- 6 slices Cheddar cheese
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Shape ground beef into 6 oval patties.
- In a medium cast-iron skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and golden brown, approximately 35 minutes.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, cook patties over medium-high heat until browned and cooked through, approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove skillet from heat. Remove patties from skillet; wipe out skillet.
- Layer 1 bread slice with 1 tablespoon Secret Sauce, 2 to 3 tablespoons caramelized onions, 1 slice cheese, 1 patty and another 1 tablespoon Secret Sauce. Top with another bread slice.
- Repeat with remaining bread, Secret Sauce, caramelized onions, cheese and patties.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in skillet. Working in batches, cook sandwiches, flipping once, until golden brown and heated through, approximately 3 minutes per side. Add remaining butter to skillet as needed.
- In a small bowl, stir together mustard, mayonnaise, barbecue sauce and hot sauce.
- Store, covered, in refrigerator for up to 3 days.