Shrimp Nacho Grilled Cheese
Love nachos? Love grilled cheese? Then you are going fall in love this
sandwich! It’s a delicious marriage between two comfort foods.
“This grilled cheese is awesome; it tastes like shrimp nachos. The sandwich even has tortilla
chips.” - Brayden Odom
- 8 red, orange or yellow mini sweet bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 8 slices (1 ounce each) Hook's Medium Cheddar cheese
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips, divided
- 8 slices (1 ounce each) Hook's Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- Saute bell peppers and onion in 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large
skillet over medium heat until crisp-tender. Remove from the heat. Transfer
to a bowl.
- Cook and stir shrimp, salt, cumin and chili powder in the remaining
olive oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat until shrimp turn pink.
Spoon into a bowl.
- Place 2 slices of cheddar on each of four bread slices; sprinkle with
1/4 cup tortilla chips. Layer each with pepper-onion mixture, shrimp,
remaining tortilla chips and monterey jack. Top with remaining bread slices.
Spread outsides of sandwiches with butter, lightly pressing together.
- Toast sandwiches on a griddle over medium-low heat for 2-4 minutes on
each side or until bread is golden brown and cheeses are melted.
Any brand of Wisconsin cheddar or monterey jack cheeses can be used.
Covering the sandwiches while browning the first side helps the cheeses to
melt. Cook uncovered while browning the second side.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin.