Wild Mushroom Panini
- canola oil cooking spray
- flour for dusting pan
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 10 ounces sliced chanterelle mushroom (or your favorite variety) 300 g
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium shallot, finely diced 1
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose
flour 375 mL
- 1 tablespoon baking powder 15 mL
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup milk 125 mL
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese 125 mL
- 1 cup parsley
leaves, roughly chopped 250 mL
- 3 tablespoons canola oil 45 mL
- Dijon mustard
- 4 to 6 ounces Taleggio cheese 115 to 170 g
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Spray 9 x 5-inch loaf pan
with canola oil and dust lightly with flour.
- In large non-stick skillet, heat canola oil.
- Add mushrooms and cook over medium
low heat until slightly crisp, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Season mushrooms with salt and pepper.
- Add shallots and sauté for another minute.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- In large mixing bowl, add flour and baking powder.
- In second bowl, whisk together eggs, canola oil and milk.
- Gently mix flour and liquid mixtures together, just until combined.
- Stir in mushrooms, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Pour into loaf pan and bake for about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Let cool 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Finish cooling bread on wire rack.
- Slice bread into 1/2 inch (1 cm) slices.
- To make sandwiches, spread one slice of bread with mustard.
- Place slice of Taleggio cheese on top and place second slice over cheese.
- Brush bread with canola oil for even grilling.
- Preheat panini machine and grill sandwiches until golden brown and cheese is
Yield: 8 to 9 sandwiches
Nutritional Analysis per sandwich: Calories 340 Total Fat 23g Saturated Fat
6g Cholesterol 95mg Sodium 640mg Carbohydrates 21g Fibre 1g Protein 13g
Source: Executive Chef Anne Gringass-Paik of Brix Restaurant
Recipe used with permission from