Smoked Gouda and Caramelized
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon golden brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups grated smoked Gouda cheese
- 4 (10-inch diameter) flour tortillas
- 2 ounces sliced prosciutto, chopped
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F for 15 minutes before baking.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, brown sugar and vinegar; sauté until onion is golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes, lowering heat if necessary to prevent over-browning.
- Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature.
- Sprinkle cheese over half of each tortilla, dividing equally.
- Sprinkle prosciutto and sautéed onion over cheese.
- Season with pepper.
- Fold other half of each tortilla over cheese mixture.
- Brush tortilla with some of melted butter.
- Brush heavy, large skillet with some of melted butter.
- Place over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, cook quesadillas just until brown spots appear, brushing skillet with butter between batches, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer quesadillas to heavy large baking sheet.
- Bake until tortillas are golden and cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer quesadillas to work surface. Cut each into 6 triangles. Arrange on platter and serve hot.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutritional information: 331 calories, 10.8 grams protein,
25.6 grams carbohydrates, 19.6 grams fat, 723 milligrams sodium
Source: Bon Appetit magazine - September 1995