Green Chile Pesto
- 6 large long green chiles or 4 medium poblano chiles
- 3/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 cup lightly packed clean, dry basil leaves and tender stems
- 1 cup extra virgin
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground
- Roast chiles, turning them often, until the peels are lightly and evenly charred.
- team the chiles in a closed paper bag until cool.
- Rub off the charred peels, remove
the stems and seeds, and coarsely chop the chiles.
- In a skillet over medium heat, toast the pine nuts, stirring often, until they
are lightly browned.
- Remove them from the skillet to cool to room temperature.
- In a food processor, combine pine nuts, basil, chopped chiles and garlic. Process,
scraping down sides of the bowl once or twice, until smooth.
- Gradually add the olive
oil through the feed tube.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the cheeses,
salt and pepper.
- Tightly cover the pesto and refrigerate for up to three days.
This can also be frozen for up to 3 months, but add the cheese only after it is defrosted.