This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Dried Tomatoes in Olive Oil
- 3 pounds ripe plum tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Heat oven to 150 degrees F.
- Rinse tomatoes in warm water and pat dry. Cut lengthwise and place, cut side
up, on a cake rack over a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt.
- Place racks of tomatoes
in the oven and leave the door ajar about 4 inches. Check temperature every 2 hours
and turn the pans to ensure even drying. Turn the oven off for 30 minutes if the
temperature rises over 150 degrees F.
- Dry for 12 hours or until tomatoes are flexible,
but not moist. Cool.
- Pack dried tomatoes in a sterilized glass jar, cover with olive oil, and store
in a cool, dry place for 1 month before using.
Use tomatoes with mozzarella cheese and fresh basil. Always save the oil and
use it in salads.