This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
- 10 cups any fruit or berries, washed and seeds or pits removed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Combine fruit and sugar in a kettle and simmer over moderate heat until a thick,
syrupy consistency is reached. Remove from heat and puree in a blender or food processor.
- Stretch plastic wrap across a table, covering a surface approximately 12 x 30 inches.
Place the table in the sun and pour fruit puree onto the plastic wrap, spreading
evenly to a 1/4-inch depth. Cover the puree with a single protective thickness of
cheesecloth and leave in the sun for 1 1/2 to 2 days.
- At the end of the first day remove the cheesecloth. The puree, which should be
dry enough to peel from the plastic wrap without sticking, should be kept inside
overnight and brought outside again in the morning and covered with the cheesecloth
for the second day of drying.
- To store, remove cheesecloth, roll up fruit leather, cut into 1/2-inch thick
slices, and place in a tightly covered container.
Will keep for 3 to 4 months in
the refrigerator or 10 to 12 months in the freezer.