This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
- Non-stick spray
- 4 egg whites
- 1 (16 ounce) box golden pound cake mix
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons very hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 cups (7 ounce jar) Marshmallow Creme
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
You will need a spice bottle, approximately the size of a Twinkie, ten 12 x 14
-inch pieces of aluminum foil, a cake decorator or pastry bag, and a chopstick.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Fold each piece of aluminum foil in half twice. Wrap the folded foil around the
spice bottle to create a mold. Leave the top of the mold open for pouring in the
batter. Make 10 of these molds and arrange them on a cookie sheet or in a shallow
pan. Grease the inside of each mold with a light coating of nonstick spray.
- Cakes: Do NOT follow instructions on the cake mix box. Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- In a separate bowl combine cake mix with water and beat until thoroughly blended
(about 2 minutes). Fold egg whites into the cake batter and slowly combine until
- Pour the batter into the molds, filling each one about 3/4 of an inch. Bake in
the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a wooden
pick stuck in the center comes out clean.
- Filling: Combine salt with the hot water in a small bowl and stir until
salt is dissolved. Let this mixture cool.
- Combine Marshmallow Creme, shortening, confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract
in a medium bowl and mix well with an electric mixer on high speed until fluffy.
- Add the salt solution to the filling mixture and combine.
- When the cakes are done and cooled, use a skewer to make three holes in the bottom
of each one. Move the stick around inside of each cake to create space for the filling.
- Transfer the Filling to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4-inch round tip. Pipe frosting
into the holes in each cake, taking care not to overfill, until it gently expands.
These won’t last indefinitely as real Twinkies do.