Low Fat Yogurt
- 4 cups powdered skim milk
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- Granulated sugar to taste
- 1/2 cup yogurt (with active yogurt and L. acidophilis cultures)
- Heat oven to 250 degrees F. Turn off.
- Put 4 cups warm water in a large kettle. Slowly stir in the powdered milk; add
2 1/3 cups more warm water. Soften the gelatin in 1 tablespoon cold water. Add 1
cup boiling water and stir until gelatin is dissolved. Add to milk mixture. Add
sugar to taste. Stir yogurt into milk mixture until well-blended. Pour into sterilized
jars. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Place containers on a baking sheet. Put
in oven for at least 3 hours and as long as overnight, until yogurt is set.
- Put regular covers on the jars and keep refrigerated.
Makes 2 quarts.
Line a sieve with cheesecloth. Invert
container of yogurt in sieve. Refrigerate overnight or until liquid has drained
off. Put back in covered container and keep refrigerated.