- Canola oil, for frying
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt
- 2 large
- 1 1/4 cups panko (Japanese-style) bread crumbs
- 2 firm-ripe avocados,
peeled, pitted and slicedinto 1/2-inch wedges
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high, heat 1 1/2 inches of oil until it reaches
375 degrees F on a deep-fry thermometer.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl whisk together the flour and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
Place the eggs in a second shallow bowl, and the panko in a third.
- One wedge at a time, dredge the avocados through the flour, shaking off any excess,
then through the egg and finally through the panko. Set the wedges aside in a single
- A quarter of the avocado wedges at a time, fry until deep golden, 30 to 60 seconds.
Transfer the wedges to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Transfer the drained
fries to an oven-safe plate and keep warm in the oven while cooking the remaining
- Sprinkle with salt to taste.
Yield: 6 servings
Source: Sunset magazine, April 2009