Baked Asparagus au Gratin
Baked Asparagus au Gratin is a simply divine way to serve this favorite veggie.
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 5 tablespoons butter, cubed and divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 ounces Uplands Pleasant Ridge Reserve cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Arrange asparagus in a greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in the milk, garlic salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil; cook and whisk for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low; gradually whisk in Pleasant Ridge Reserve until melted. Pour cheese sauce over asparagus. Bake, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle crumb mixture over sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, for 7 to 9 minutes longer or until asparagus is tender.
- Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
Yield: 8 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin