Baked Mushroom Parmesan
Baked Mushroom Parmesan may be served as an entree or as a side dish.
- 4 large Portabella mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup tomato pasta sauce, divided
- 4 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red peppers flakes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to broil, with top rack about 4 inches from broiler. Brush both sides of mushrooms with oil. Place mushrooms, gill side down, in a 9 inch baking dish. Broil for 4 minutes, remove and turn gill side up, broil for 4 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms from baking dish, drain excess liquid.
- Reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Spread 1/2 cup pasta sauce on bottom of baking dish, then place mushrooms, gill side up. Sprinkle with basil, red pepper flakes and the remainder of the pasta sauce. Top with mozzarella cheese and parmesan; bake for 5 to 10 minutes, until the cheese begins to brown.
- Remove from oven and serve.
Yield: 4, 1 filled portabella cap each | Prep: 10 min | Cool: 10 min
Nutrition Facts Per serving: Calories: 230; Total Fat: 15g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 20mg; Sodium: 460mg; Protein: 13g; Total Carbohydrate: 10g; Dietary Fiber: 2g
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
The Mushroom Council