Best Ever Sausage Pierogis
Salt and Pepper Ground Pork Sausage stuffed in a tender dough with cheesy mashed potatoes for the perfect meal, side dish or appetizer!
Prep: 25 min | Cook: 30 min | Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 1 (16 ounce) package Johnsonville® Salt & Pepper Ground Pork Sausage
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and chunked
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 7 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- In a skillet, cook and crumble sausage over medium heat until sausage is browned and the internal temperature is 160 degrees F, about 10 minutes. Drain if desired. Remove and keep warm.
- In a saucepan, cover potatoes with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender; about 15 minutes; drain and then mash.
- Add the cheese, 2 tablespoons butter and onion salt; mix until cheese is melted. Add half the sausage; mix until combined. Refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add the sour cream, egg and yolk. Knead with dough hook for 8 minutes.
- Refrigerate until ready to assemble.
- Dust a baking sheet with flour. Roll dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut with a 3 inch biscuit cutter. Place 1 tablespoon of sausage and potato mixture in the center of each circle; pinch edges to seal.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add half the pierogis to boiling water; cook for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter and heat until browned.
- Remove pierogis from boiling water with a slotted spoon; transfer to prepared skillet. Cook until browned; about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Repeat with remaining pierogis.
- In a skillet, cook and stir shallots in 2 tablespoons butter. Add the remaining sausage; cook and stir until heated through. Serve with pierogis. Sprinkle with chives, if desired.
Pierogis may be frozen; then thawed to cook.