This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Bourbon Butter Onions
- 4 large sweet onions
- 1 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Garlic salt
- Ground black pepper
- PAM Grilling Spray
- Cut off thin slice of bottom (root end) of sweet Vidalia or Maui or Walla Walla
onions so they can stand upright. Remove outer skin and, using a grapefruit knife
or melon baller remove a core almost to the bottom of the onion and about 2 inches
- Spray outside of onion with PAM grilling spray and salt and pepper the outside
of the onion. Place each onion on a large piece of aluminum foil and salt and pepper
the inside of the cavities as well.
- Mix melted butter, bourbon, brown sugar, and balsamic vinegar in bowl and fill
the cavities with the butter mixture. Reserve remaining butter mixture and keep
- Gather the foil at the top and carefully twist to seal the onions in the foil.
Cook over indirect heat on the barbecue for 1 1/2 hours.
- Just before serving drizzle warm leftover butter mix over onions.