Brown Rice Dressing
- 2 cups brown rice
- 4 cups liquid (broth from boiling the giblets and water to make up the difference)
- 1/2 cup butter or olive oil
- 1 large or two medium onions, sliced or chopped fairly fine
- 2 bell peppers, sliced or chopped fine (any color works, but red is best)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced thin
- 1 head garlic, peeled and chopped fine
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 large, tart apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins or currants
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon curry
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Cook rice in liquid until done, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic and mushrooms in butter or
oil. You can use less oil if you like.
- When vegetables are just tender, add remaining ingredients and toss together.
Let stand until rice is done to blend flavors. Mix with rice, and stuff the bird!
- Whatever is left can be baked for 30 minutes in a casserole.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.