Cheese and Bacon Stuffed Tomatoes
Tomatoes are stuffed with a savory filling of bacon, bell pepper, onion and cheddar cheese.
- 4 medium-size firm tomatoes
- 12 slices bacon, cut up
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) Wisconsin cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons lettuce, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cheese crackers, crushed
- 4 teaspoons butter
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut thin slice from top of each tomato; scoop out pulp and set aside.
- Drain tomatoes upside down on rack.
- Meanwhile, in skillet, cook bacon until almost done. Drain off fat.
- Add green pepper and onion and sauté until soft.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Blend in cheddar, lettuce and tomato pulp.
- Fill each shell with 1/4 of mixture.
- Sprinkle with cracker crumbs and dot with 1 teaspoon butter each.
- Place in buttered baking dish; bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.