Cornbread Dressing 2
- 3 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of baking soda
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 3/4 cups herb-seasoned stuffing mix
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3 cups turkey or chicken broth
- Combine first 5 ingredients. Stir lightly.
- Add buttermilk and eggs. Mix well.
- Stir in celery and onion.
- Heat bacon drippings in 10-inch iron skillet until very hot. Add 1 tablespoon drippings to batter. Mix well. Pour batter into hot skillet.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until bread is lightly browned. Crumble into large mixing bowl.
- Add stuffing mix and sage. Set aside.
- Place soup in medium saucepan. Gradually stir broth into soup. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thoroughly heated.
- Pour over crumb mixture. Stir well.
- Spoon into a well-greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.