Cornbread and Dried Fruit Dressing
This colorful dressing has layers of flavor that allow for a delicious side dish
on its own as well as blend well in the
Turkey Roulade entrée.
- 4 cups cornbread cubes, dried 1 L
- 4 ounces lean Italian turkey sausage, casing
removed 125 g
- 1 tablespoon canola oil 15 mL
- 1 cup chopped yellow or white
onions 250 mL
- 1/4 cup chopped celery 60 mL
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot 60 mL
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 4 each dried apricots and pitted dried plums, coarsely
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme 2 mL
- 3/4 teaspoon dried sage 4 mL
teaspoon dried marjoram 1 mL
- 1 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth 250 mL
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley 60 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 mL
- 1/4 teaspoon ground
black pepper 1 mL
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
center.html" startspan -->
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place cornbread cubes in
large bowl and set aside.
- In small nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium to high heat, crumbling
and stirring until brown and cooked through. Drain well and set aside.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat canola oil over medium heat. Stir in onions,
celery and carrot; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer, but don't allow garlic to brown.
- Stir in sausage, apricots, plums, thyme, sage, marjoram and 1/4 cup (60
mL) broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; pour vegetable mixture over cornbread. Add parsley and
stir well. Season with salt and pepper. (Dressing may be prepared to this stage
a day ahead and refrigerated, covered.)
- Whisk together egg and remaining 3/4 cup (175 mL) broth and pour over cornbread
mixture, tossing well.
- Spray 2-quart (2.25 L) baking dish with canola oil cooking spray (use larger
baking dish if not reserving dressing for Turkey Roulade) and transfer all but
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) of dressing to baking dish. Cover dish with foil and set
- After Turkey Roulade has been in oven 30 minutes, place covered baking dish
of dressing in oven. After 15 minutes (or when internal temperature of roulade,
measured with instant-read thermometer, is 155 degrees F), remove roulade from
oven and remove foil from baking dish with dressing. Continue baking dressing
for about 15 minutes or until top begins to brown.
Yield: 6 cups (1.5 L); enough for Turkey Roulade and 8 side dish servings
serving size 1/2 cup (125 mL)
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving: Calories 250 Total Fat 11 g Saturated Fat
1.5 g Cholesterol 60 mg Carbohydrates 32 g Fiber 3 g Sugars 9 g Protein 6 g Sodium
550 mg Potassium 88 mg
Reprinted with permission from