Cracked Pepper Gravy
Cracked pepper is different from freshly ground pepper because the former is
stronger in flavor and aroma. Grind them in a food processor or blender, only pulse
them once or twice just to crack them.
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 teaspoons cracked pepper
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan. When the foam goes down, whisk in the flour.
Continually whisk until the flour cooks, becoming a fragrant light brown.
add the milk, continuing to whisk to keep lumps from forming.
- Season with salt and
- Simmer gravy for 10 minutes to cook and reduce.
- Serve hot.
Yield: 3 cups
Nutrition: Per 1/4 cup serving: 73 calories; 5 g fat (3 g saturated
fat; 61 percent calories from fat); 5 g carbohydrates; 14 mg cholesterol; 220 mg
sodium; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber
Source: A Cowboy in the Kitchen
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.