Curried Cornbread Pudding with
Sausage, Apples and Mozzarella
- 2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups skim milk
Curried Cornbread Pudding
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) package Jones All Natural Roll Sausage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups day-old cornbread cubes
- 3 cups shredded part-skim Mozzarella cheese
- 10 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 Granny Smith apples, cored and thinly sliced
- Pumpkin Sauce: Measure all the ingredients into a small saucepan, stir together and
cook over medium heat until heated through.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the chopped onion and sausage
until cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, then remove from heat. Drain well.
- Curried Cornbread Pudding: Spray muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray. Divide the cornbread cubes evenly among the 24 muffins cups. Next, layer the sausage, then the cheese. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, skim milk, coriander, cumin, ginger, dry mustard,
curry powder and 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper. Beat for 5 minutes.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of the egg-milk mixture into each muffin cup. Top each muffin cup with 3
to 5 apples slices arranged in a pinwheel.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes or until pudding is "set."
- Remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes before serving.
- For each serving: Run a knife around the edge of the muffin cups. Carefully remove
2 "bread puddings" and set on a plate.
- Serve warm with a pool of warm Pumpkin Sauce on the side.
Yield: 24 muffin cups (12 servings); 4 cups Pumpkin Sauce
Source: An Award Winning Recipe ... 1996 Jones Dairy Farm B&B Recipe Contest
Winner. Featured on PBS-TV's Country Inn Cooking with Gail Greco - from The
Inn at 410, Flagstaff, Arizona