Deluxe Cornbread Stuffing
- 6 cups crumbled cornbread
- 2 cups white bread cubes, toasted
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 large tart apples, diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- In a large bowl, combine bread, pecans and seasonings; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage until browned; remove with a slotted
spoon to drain on paper towels.
- Add butter to drippings; sauté apples, celery and onion until tender. Add to
bread mixture. Stir in sausage and enough broth to moisten. Spoon into a greased
3-quart baking dish; cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 10 minutes.
Yield: 10 to 12 servings (about 11 cups)
Or use to stuff a turkey; bake according to recipe.