This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Dried Hay Beans
These beans are still made by many Mennonite families.
- 3 cups dried green string beans
- 1/4 pound bacon or salt pork
- Dash of pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Water to cover
- Soak dried beans in warm water for 1 hour.
- Cut bacon or salt pork into small cubes and fry in a Dutch oven or heavy saucepan
until lightly browned.
- Add beans and partially cover with water. Cook until tender and most of the water
You can also cook fresh green beans this way.