As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 3 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 (2 pound) package sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer or apple cider
- 3/4 cup grated carrot
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Sauté bacon in medium size heavy pot or Dutch oven until all fat is rendered,
but bacon is not browned.
- Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in the sauerkraut, sugar, caraway seeds and beer. Bring to boiling. Lower
heat; simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour.
- Add carrot. Simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes longer. If mixture is too
wet, raise heat slightly; cook, uncovered, a little longer.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with parsley.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Microwave Instructions: Reduce beer to 3/4 cup. Do not chop bacon. Microwave
bacon on grid in microwave safe dish about 13 x 9 inches, uncovered at full power
3 minutes. Remove bacon and grid; crumble bacon. Add onion to dish. Microwave at
full power, 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Mix in sauerkraut, sugar, caraway,
beer, carrot and bacon. Cover with wax paper. Microwave at half power for 15 minutes.
Sprinkle with salt, pepper and parsley.
116 calories per serving, 3 gm protein, 6 gm fat, 14 gm carbohydrate, 1,124
mg sodium, 7 mg cholesterol
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Side Dish Recipes