This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Extraordinary Eggplant Parmesan
- 2 eggplants, peeled and sliced into circles about 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick
- All-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil
- Seasoned salt, to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) jar meat-flavored spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup grape jelly
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can sliced stewed tomatoes
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Moisten eggplant slices with milk, then coat lightly in flour.
- Pour oil into a large skillet to a depth of about 1/4 inch; heat over medium-high heat until oil is hot. (Do not allow oil to smoke.) Arrange eggplant in a single layer in skillet. Quickly brown slices of eggplant, turning to cook evenly. Cook just until eggplant is fork tender.
- Place browned eggplant in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Repeat with remaining eggplant, adding additional oil as needed. Season eggplant generously with seasoned salt. Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake at 375 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, combine spaghetti sauce and jelly in a saucepan.
- Break tomatoes with a fork or coarsely chop, then add, with any collected liquid, to spaghetti sauce. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until hot; do not boil.
- Spread mozzarella cheese over eggplant, then add sauce and top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
Per serving: 418 calories (50 percent from fat), 24 grams total fat (9 grams
saturated), 38 milligrams cholesterol, 40 grams carbohydrates, 14 grams protein,
797 milligrams sodium, 6 grams dietary fiber