Fozzie's Horseradish and Beets
This was my Dad's favorite horseradish blend for Christmas, Easter ham and
just to plain ole have for sandwiches. When I first got married, I thought I could
top it with fresh made horseradish, made in my new Cuisinart. The tears it brought!!!
Poor cats and hubby couldn't see for hours. I use the bottled stuff for ease
but use the fresh stuff for a real kick!
- 4 (15 ounce) cans whole beets
- 1 or 2 (6 ounce) jars Gold's White Horseradish (hot)
- Kosher salt to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- About 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- About 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Grate the beets on fine grate.
- Add 1 jar Gold's White Horseradish.
- Add salt, pepper, vinegar and sugar. Mix and taste. If you like it hot add more horseradish....less
hot, add less. Adjust sugar and vinegar if you add less horseradish.
- Store in an airtight jar for up to a week. Try to keep it as airtight as possible or it will
lose its potency. It will gradually lose hotness the longer it stays.
Careful with the beets...they stain hands, counters, sink, etc.
Posted by jerseyjan at Recipe Goldmine 6/9/01 5:07:15 pm