French Onion Mashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- Salt to taste
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup milk or half-and-half
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- Minced chives for garnish
- Cut Washington grown Yukon Gold potatoes in half if they are large. Leave skin
on. Put in a large pot of water with a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cook
20-30 minutes until potatoes are tender. Use a fork to make sure they are tender
all the way through.
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk and 4 tablespoons butter. Cook until the butter
melts and the milk is warm.
- Sauté the onions in 2 tablespoons butter until caramelized to a golden brown.
- Add the sherry to the pan (optional) and sauté another 1-2 minutes until the
liquid has evaporated.
- Drain the potatoes.
- Add the hot milk and butter mixture and start mashing. You
can also do this in a mixer.
- Season with salt and white pepper, then add the onions.
- Fold in the cheese and top with chives.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.