Fried Green Tomatoes with Zesty Dipping Sauce
Make easy Fried Green Tomatoes with Zesty Dipping Sauce from Fannie Flagg’s
Original Whistle Stop Cafe Cookbook. Includes zesty dipping sauce recipe.
Fried green tomatoes are best eaten immediately. They will become soggy fast if
you don’t eat them within a few minutes of frying.
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3-4 green tomatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- Vegetable oil or bacon grease for frying
Zesty Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- Pinch cayenne, or more to taste
- Tomatoes: In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, salt, pepper and
buttermilk. Use a fork to mix the ingredients into a pancake-like batter. Use
more buttermilk to thin the batter, if needed.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a skillet until hot enough to fry. Dip tomato slices
in batter, letting the excess batter drip back into the bowl. Put the dipped
slices immediately into the frying pan. The oil should sizzle strongly but not
pop when the tomatoes hit the oil - if the oil pops or spatters, it's too hot.
Let it cool down a bit before proceeding.
- Fry the tomato slices in batches of 4 or 5 at a time (don't crowd the pan)
for 2-3 minutes per side, turning carefully with tongs when the coating turns
- Transfer to a colander or wire cooling rack to drain. To keep the tomatoes
from getting soggy before they're served, Fannie suggests standing them up like
wheels in the serving dish instead of stacking them.
- Zesty Dipping Sauce: Whisk together the mayonnaise, ketchup, and cayenne
in a bowl. Taste and season more, if needed. Serve sauce over the fresh fried
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 6 min | Yield: 6 servings