This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Fried Stuffed Eggplant Slices
- 1 medium-size eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
- Olive oil
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (or to taste), divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 (17 to 20 ounce) jar favorite tomato sauce
- Slice eggplant and set aside.
- Make stuffing by mixing bread crumbs, eggs, salt, pepper and about 1/4 to 1/2
cup grated Parmesan cheese and parsley together. (If mixture is too stiff to spread
over the slices, add a little water or olive oil to thin).
- Take a slice of eggplant
and cover the slice with filling (abut 1 tablespoon). Place another slice over the
top, like a sandwich). Continue with all eggplant slices.
- Fry in a good quality
olive oil. The oil should be hot before placing eggplant in pan. Brown both sides.
- When slices are browned and cooked, place on paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- After all slices are fried, place the eggplant stacks in large baking dish.
- Over each eggplant layer, pour hot tomato sauce and sprinkle with additional cheese.
- Heat oven and bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until bubbly.
Serves 4 to 6.