Golden Apples and Yams
Because yams (or sweet potatoes) require much longer cooking time than apples,
this recipe calls for pre-baking them. This step can be done a day or so ahead if
- 2 large yams or sweet potatoes
- 2 Golden Delicious apples, cored and sliced crosswise into rings
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans or walnuts
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake yams for 50 minutes or until soft still retain their shape. (This step can also be done in the microwave; microwave yams on high (100 percent) for 8 to 10 minutes, rotating halfway through cooking.)
- Cool yams until they can be handled. Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees F.
- Peel yams and slice crosswise. In shallow 1-quart baking dish, alternate apple rings and yam slices, overlapping their edges slightly.
- In small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and cloves; stir in orange juice and blend.
- Heat orange juice mixture, stirring, until thickened; pour over apples and yams.
- Top casserole with nuts and bake 20 minutes or until apples are tender.
Nutrition Information: Protein: 2g; Fat: 2g; Carbohydrate: 37g; Fiber: 3g;
Sodium: 9mg; Cholesterol: 0; Calories: 165
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Washington Apple Commission
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.