New England Stuffing
This is the only recipe MY MOTHER asked me to have and for a proud cook, that's
a big deal! I love it! It's different and yet comforting and familiar.
My mom begged for this recipe after I served it for our “first”
Thanksgiving dinner, being just married, and now it' s a family favorite.
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped celery, with leaves
- 1 (8 ounce) jar steamed or roasted chestnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 22 ounces oyster crackers, lightly crushed
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 egg
- In a medium skillet, cook sausage until cooked through, crumbling as you cook.
Transfer to a bowl.
- Add butter to the skillet and melt over medium heat. Add onions
and celery. Sauté until tender (8 minutes).
- Mix in chestnuts, parsley and 1 tablespoon
poultry seasoning. Add to sausages and mix in crackers. Spoon into turkey.
- To remaining stuffing, mix in chicken stock, egg and 2 tablespoons melted butter.
Cover and refrigerate.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for the last 40 minutes of the turkey's
Posted by artsycook at Recipe Goldmine 11/12/2001 9:48 pm.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.