Side Dish Recipes
Pumpkin and Habanero Cheddar Soufflés
Habanero Cheddar Soufflés are baked inside tiny pumpkins for individual side dishes that will delight everyone at your table.
Yield: 8 servings
- 8 mini pumpkins
- 4 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 ounces Cabot Habanero Cheddar, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place uncut pumpkins in large shallow dish and add 1/4 inch of water; cover tightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes, or until tender. Let cool.
- Reheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- With paring knife, remove tops from pumpkins. Remove and discard seeds, then scoop out flesh, leaving 1/4-inch-thick shell.
- Place four cups of pumpkin flesh in mixing bowl. Separate eggs, stirring yolks into pumpkin flesh and placing whites in separate bowl.
- Stir flour and baking powder into pumpkin mixture, then stir in cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whip egg whites into stiff peaks. Fold into pumpkin mixture. Spoon soufflé mixture into pumpkin shells.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until puffed and set.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Cabot Creamery Co-operative
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jeffrey Weiss.