Red-Hot Red Onion Rings
Cayenne, red pepper flakes and hot paprika give these onion rings their fire.
- 2 red onions, peeled, cut in 1/4-inch thick slices,separated into rings
- 3/4 cup hot-chile or regular olive oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons hot paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Onions: In bowl, toss onions with oil. Cover; refrigerate 2 hours, tossing twice.
Add buttermilk. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Seasoned Flour: In bowl, mix ingredients.
- Heat 2 inches oil in deep fryer or Dutch oven to 365 degrees F.
- Remove onion rings, a few at a time, from buttermilk mixture; coat with flour.
Place on wax-paper–lined baking sheet.
- Re-dip coated onion rings, a few at
a time, in buttermilk mixture, then in flour, until thickly coated.
- Fry in batches in hot oil (4 to 6 rings) 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove with slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
Yield: 4 servings
Per serving: 849 calories, 12 g protein, 76 g carbohydrate, 55 g fat, 6 g
fiber, 2 mg cholesterol, 1,234 mg sodium
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.