Rubies and Pearls (Cranberries and Onions)
The dish should be baked just before serving it. It will look and taste best
if it is prepared for baking not more than 8 hours ahead of time. If you use an
ovenproof skillet, it will save washing another pan.
- 1 1/2 pounds pearl onions
- Boiling water to cover
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cranberries
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Drop the onions into a pot of boiling water for about 2 minutes. Drain and rinse
the onions under cold water. When they are cool enough to handle, slice off the
root ends of the onions, and slip off their outer skins.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat the butter or margarine in a large skillet, preferably one with a nonstick
surface, add the onions, and cook them in a single layer until they are lightly
browned, turning them occasionally to prevent sticking and to brown them evenly.
- Sprinkle in the sugar, salt (if desired), and pepper, and add the cranberries,
tossing the ingredients to combine them.
- Add the broth.
- Transfer the mixture to a glass or ceramic baking dish, place the dish in the hot oven, and bake the onions
and cranberries in the uncovered dish for about 30 minutes.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.