This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Rubies and Pearls (Cranberries and Onions)
The dish should be baked just before serving it. It will look and taste best
if it is prepared for baking not more than 8 hours ahead of time. If you use an
ovenproof skillet, it will save washing another pan.
- 1 1/2 pounds pearl onions
- Boiling water to cover
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cranberries
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Drop the onions into a pot of boiling water for about 2 minutes. Drain and rinse
the onions under cold water. When they are cool enough to handle, slice off the
root ends of the onions, and slip off their outer skins.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat the butter or margarine in a large skillet, preferably one with a nonstick
surface, add the onions, and cook them in a single layer until they are lightly
browned, turning them occasionally to prevent sticking and to brown them evenly.
- Sprinkle in the sugar, salt (if desired), and pepper, and add the cranberries,
tossing the ingredients to combine them.
- Add the broth.
- Transfer the mixture to a glass or ceramic baking dish, place the dish in the hot oven, and bake the onions
and cranberries in the uncovered dish for about 30 minutes.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings